20101116

Chapter 9

We view many different versions of Digital Storytelling daily, from a simple TV commercial for Coca-Cola, to a sitcom like Grey's Anatomy or cartoon like Handy Manny, all the way to an Oscar winning movie like The Blind Side. Kate Kemker's version of Digital Storytelling is a very simple and condensed version of Movie Production. Digital Storytelling is a very involved multi-step activity. It starts with preproduction where the students coming up with a plan, rough draft if you will, on paper. They will make a story board with text and drawings of their concepts. This story board should also include instructions for the camera handler and actors. In this step they will also address the basic elements of a story: exposition, rising action, climax and falling action. When preproduction has been done adequately, they will begin the production stage. The production stage is where raw footage is shot. After all of the video has been shot, it will then be time for post production/editing of the raw video. In this step the students will use editing software like Apple iMovie or Adobe Premiere to create their final video.

I am not sure whether it would be something that I could use in my Special Education classes without condensing the steps even further. These students generally have a hard time with multi-step tasks or assignments. I think that it is something that many of my students would enjoy, but I would have to stretch the assignment over several weeks of instruction.

Mathematical concepts are often the most difficult for students to comprehend. There are so many different types of tools that can be used to help visualize mathematical concepts. The textbook suggests using something as simple as tally sticks and place cards for concepts such as addition and subtraction. When doing more advanced equations and concepts students should be able to use computerized manipulatives such as graphing calculators, and special softward programs like TableTop or TinkerPlots. Geometry can be visualized with the tool Geometric Supposer.
In my classroom, we use dot counters, blocks, hundred charts, place value charts and multiplication charts on a daily basis. These simple items help the students to learn their math facts by repetition.


I am a very visual learner, but I have to do things several time in order to perfect the task. I have learned how to do many things by watching YouTube videos. I also subscribe to a Big Name Horse Trainer's club and receive videos each month. No, you are not going to be perfect just from watching the videos, but at least it gives you an idea of how something is supposed to look. Some people may be able to just jump right in and perfect a task merely from watching a video, but I am betting that more than half of the students will need further instruction. TV and video should be used as supplements only, and not as the only method of instruction.

References
Crismond, D., Howland, J., Jonassen, D., Marra, R. M. (2008). Meaningful Learning With Technology. Upper Saddle, New Jersey: Pearson.

2 comments:

  1. I am also a very visual learner and I also learn how to do many things from youtube videos. It gives you step by step and gives you an idea how something is supposed to look at the end. I have to watch something that has steps for me to learn, instead of just looking at something once and doing it from that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, TV should be used as supplements. It'd be a neat way for teachers to use TV as an introduction to teach a skill.

    ReplyDelete