What did you learn about podcasting? How can it be used in the classroom?
I learned that podcasting has become a great way for teachers to interact with their students in a fun way. The students seem to enjoy the fact that they can listen on their ipods and not have to carry heavy books around to study for tests. Teachers can use a program like Audacity to record and edit lectures or study sessions for their students and then the students can listen to them any time that they want. The teacher can record her lecture and have a substitute play it if she is absent for any length of time.
How is podcasting different/similar to other Web 2.0 applications we discussed so far?
All of the Web 2.0 applications that we have discussed so far have been relatively "new" technology that are being used in the classroom. All of these "new" technologies are being used to keep learning fun and to keep the students actively engaged in their education. Blogging is a great tool for "visual learners" and Podcasting is a great tool for "auditory learners". I am a very visual learner and I feel that I would benefit the most from a Blog.
Your reflection: Do you own an iPod/MP3 player? How do you use it? Would you use it in your classroom and how? What do you think about advantages/disadvantages of online communication tools?
I do own an iPod. I have an iPhone 4. I mainly just use it as a phone and for games and Facebook. I have some music on it, but I mostly just listen to Pandora. I have not really thought about using it in my classroom. My sister is a High School Geometry teacher. She is going on maternity leave soon and she is going to be using podcasting and Skype for her students. She plans to have several lessons recorded in order to help her Sub prepare the students for their upcoming State Assessments. She will use Skype occassionally so that she will keep in touch with them and be able to answer questions in real time. I think this is a great way to use Podcasts and Skype. I think that there are more advantages than disadvantages of online communication tools.
No comments:
Post a Comment